Silicone bead keychains make for fun and customizable accessories that you can wear or gift to friends. With some simple supplies and techniques, you can easily make your own colorful silicone bead keychains at home. This guide will walk you through the easy process step-by-step.
Silicone bead keychain supplies kits contain most of what you'll need. These include silicone molds, pins, jump rings, findings, and sometimes silicone mix. You can find these convenient kits at craft stores or online. Besides the kit materials, you'll also need:
- Silicone beads - These come in endless shapes, sizes and colors to customize your keychains. Good options are letter beads, animal beads, fruit beads or flower beads.
- Tassels, charms or other embellishments (optional) - Personalize with things like mini tassels, initial charms or ribbon.
- Isopropyl alcohol
Making Silicone Beads Keychains
There are the steps to solve how to make silicone beads keychains from beads:
Step 1 - Choose Your Beads and Embellishments
Spread out an array of silicone beads in the colors and shapes you want. Consider choosing a color theme. You can also add optional extras like mini tassels, charms or ribbons. Planning your design will make assembly easier later.
Step 2 – Clean the Beads
Before embedding them, clean the beads to remove any dirt and oils. Put some isopropyl alcohol into a small bowl. Swirl a few beads at a time in the alcohol, then lay them out to dry completely on a paper towel.
Step 3 – Prepare the Silicone Mold
If your silicone bead keychain kit includes silicone mix, prepare it by following the package directions. Then pour some into each cavity of the mold, filling it about halfway. Make sure to work over a protected surface like wax paper since silicone can adhere to surfaces.
Step 4 – Arrange the Beads in the Mold
Use toothpicks to carefully push any bubbles out from the surface of the silicone. Next, arrange your chosen beads and embellishments in the mold however you like. You may need to use toothpicks to hold items in place initially. The silicone holds items suspended once it sets.
Step 5 - Fill the Mold
Once your beads are arranged, slowly and carefully pour more silicone over them until each mold cavity is completely full. Again, use a toothpick to push out any new bubbles that form on the surface.
Step 6 – Allow the Keychains to Set
Leave the filled molds undisturbed overnight, or for at least 6 hours, to give the silicone time to fully cure and solidify. The time needed can vary a bit by silicone brand.
Step 7 – Remove from the Mold
Once set, flex the mold gently to release the finished silicone bead keychains. Carefully peel them out of the mold. Then use a craft knife to gently trim away any excess silicone from the edges.
Step 8 – Attach Findings
Finally, glue any pins, jump rings, keychains or other findings on the back side of each bead creation with strong adhesive. Once the adhesive dries you have custom silicone bead keychains ready to show off!
Tips and Inspiration
- Mix beads in different shapes and sizes for dimension and interest. Just make sure any beads going into the silicone are 100% silicone as well.
- Arrange beads close together or in stacks for a fuller looking design.
- Color coordinate beads to specific people or themes. Make them into great personalized gifts.
- Glittery translucent beads look amazing embedded in clear silicone.
- For a tassel embellishment, simply tie strands from embroidery floss around one end of a jump ring before attaching findings.
- Don’t throw away imperfect attempts! You can cut them up and embed the pieces into a new batch for abstract designs.
- Resin keychains are also popular if you prefer heavier keychains vs lightweight silicone ones.
The process of how to make silicone bead keychains with tassels is really easy and the results are so stylish. In just a few steps, you can create unlimited colorful designs to carry with flair. Whether you make them for yourself or creative handmade gifts, get ready to impress with these fun diy wristlets and keyholders!